- The Department
- Meetings and Courses
Senior Bioinformaticist position at Medical Genome Project (Sevilla, Spain)
The Medical Genomics Project (Sevilla, Spain) seeks a Senior Bioinformaticist for coordinating the Bioinformatics team at the Andalusian Genomics Center
The Medical Genome Project (MGP) has the objective of characterizing a large number of genetically-based diseases by genome sequencing. MGP constitutes a change of paradigm in the way the study of genetic diseases has been traditionally approached. The MGP is an ambitious project that aims to sequence, in a first phase, more than 1,000 exomes comprising patients of several hundred of diseases, as well as the corresponding controls. The MGP is located in Andalusian Centre of Genomics, located in the Technology Park Cartuja 93 in Seville, in an area of over 1,000 m2 divided into seven laboratories, including the bioinformatics department, and common research and administration areas (http://medicalgenomeproject.com/en).
The selected candidate will be the responsible of the bioinformatic infrastructure of genomic sequence data analysis in the MGP. The project will produce a large amount of human genome sequences that need to be quick and efficiently processed and further analysed to find mutations causative of the diseases studied.
- PhD level in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering or equivalent.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in bioinformatics applied to genomics problems
- Good knowledge of analysis of next generation sequencing data (quality control, sequence mapping, SNP calling, etc.)
- A strong biostatistics background
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to work independently as well as in a team of people with diverse scientific backgrounds
- Attention to detail, effective troubleshooting skills and good judgment are required
- Good communication skills in English
For more information regarding job requirements and conditions, and to submit an application for the selection process and online submission of CV information, interested parties should go to the Progress and Health Foundation website at:
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/fundacionprogresoysalud/english.html (follow the vacancies link, ref 0506)
The deadline for applications and submission of CVs is March 31, 2011 at 1pm. The job location is Seville (Spain).